It’s impossible to find inner peace, if you overwhelm yourself with negative thoughts that hurt your self-confidence, foster anxiety, create tension, and lead to reactive and fearful behavior.
Most of us go through life unaware of the negative thoughts we live with and that they’re responsible for creating chaos in our lives.
A few years ago a dear friend of mine, a lawyer, was assisting me with some legal matters. One day, I called her and she didn’t call me back. This was not typical of her as she is the type of person that always responds. I then entertained a negative thought that she’d probably had it with me and with all of my questions.
A few days later, I decided to put that thought away for a moment and reached out to her again. She called back right away and shared with me that she ended up in the hospital and didn’t tell anyone about her experience. My heart sank. I judged our relationship and thought I was asking for too much guidance from her when in reality, she was going through pain and hardship.
Can you relate to this? Have you entertained a negative thought and come to find out that it was false?
If you tend to find yourself focusing on negative thoughts often it’s time to shift gears. Here is a simple journaling exercise you can implement right away to begin transforming negative thoughts into positive ones.
- Identify all negative thoughts holding you back.
- What negative thoughts are causing you pain and suffering?
- What negative thoughts are blocking you from achieving your dreams and goals?
- What negative thoughts are not allowing you to forgive yourself and others?
- For each negative thought that you wrote down, write out a positive thought. For example, if you said “I’m not good enough” you can replace it with “I’m enough” and begin to replace negative thoughts with positive ones.
I hope that you will take the time to try this exercise because it’s only through practice that we shift our behavior.
Let me know how it goes! Would love to hear from you in the comment section below.
P.S. Forward this post to a friend, family member or colleague who will benefit from this post, so they too can rock n’ roll and create a life and business they love. You’ve got this!